Jacob Walker is the sole proprietor and principal consultant / data actionist with Data Actionism. In his youth, he was a “whiz kid” providing computer consulting for small businesses, and now has over three decades of experience in information technology and data systems. His early focus was in telecommunications, helping his friend start the first Internet provider in Placer County.
He then had the opportunity to enter the field of education, with "one foot" in as an educator (technology instructor and later an administrator) and the other foot in as a "techie" (database administrator and later in charge of a small IT department). But in all roles, there was a common theme: using data to take action
He taught students Excel and other productivity software; as well as IT and computer science classes. As an institutional researcher, he used data to support his schools accreditation processes. And as a techie he supported daily operations through database administration, as well as completed many data projects to support organizational success, as can be seen in the Data Actionism Portfolio.
- Help businesses and other organizations transform data into action
- Open to work as an independent contractor or potential employment
- Projects can be seen in the Data Actionism Portfolio
- Coordinated the school's IT department
- Produced advanced management reports, and state reports,including the annual School Accountability Report Card.
- Performed all advanced data work, including the data migration to a new student information system, integrating data systems, and developing custom forms and custom fields/tables for the school.
- Acted a variety of other leadership and management roles, including developing policies, conducting legal research, and coordinating the academic department
- As a Professor, taught Spreadsheet Essentials
- Was a member of the Quality Student Feedback team, developing guidelines for faculty about providing feedback to students.
- Participated in Full-Time Faculty Meetings and was part of several key policy recommendations.
- Performed institutional research to understand online retention rates
- Automated several processes through the use of advanced spreadsheets (including VBA programming)
- Instructed Adults in Microsoft Excel, Databases with Analysis, Security, advanced (work study) technician program, and more
- Primary researcher for data driven decision making:
- Adult Secondary Education Student Persistence: Improving Institutional Methods
- Correlation of Student Age to Student Persistence
- Correlation and Possible Causation of Cohort Size to Student Persistence in Open Entry Courses
- Primary researcher for grant applications, accreditation and mandated reports
- Chairperson of the Technology Action Team (2004-2013)
- In-house Technology In-service Professional Development Trainer
- Database Technician & Administrator
- Founding employee during the start-up stage of the company as a home-based business; continued through to the maturation of a medium-sized company.
- Being part of a start-up company, I had the opportunity to be involved in many areas including management, marketing, training, technical writing, etc.
- On a leave of absence from my doctoral studies and research.
- Research employs data mining methods for correlation discovery across multiple data sets pertaining to a common set of entities.
- Placed in the 99th Percentile on the Watson-Glaser Critical Thinking Appraisal
- 3.9 GPA
- Graduated with Honors
- Originally in the Bachelors of Vocational Education Program
- Transferred to Charter Oak State College
- 3.9 GPA
- Earned 4th Place within Sierra College in the 1995-1996 National Mathematics Competition
Walker, J. J. (2016). Definition of a TSUUID and Recommendation for New UUID Version.
Walker, J. J. (2013, November 28). The Case for becoming the International Educational Data Science Society: An Open Letter to the IEDMS.
Cataldo, B., Frezzo, D., Grotegut, R., Hu Dahl, I., Martinez, J., Niemitz, M., … Walker, J. (2013). Information and Communication Technologies Model Curriculum Standards. California Department of Education.
Walker, J. J. (2011). Missing a “Trillion”: How do we know if we are teaching the right things? SSRN eLibrary.
Walker, J. J. (2010). Minesweeper and Hypothetical Thinking Action Research & Pilot Study. Effective Education Project.
Walker, J. J. (2008). Open Letter to Paul Kagame, President of Rwanda Regarding Virtual Onshoring.
Jacob also works with an excellent group of affiliated consultants to ensure that the right talent is available to get a job done.